These little muffins are the perfect solution for a quick, easy & healthy breakfast to take with you when you are on the go, or really, for any time of the day. Any of the ingredients can be modified to your liking.
Ingredients (makes about 16 muffins)
- 1 zucchini (shredded)
- 1/4 cup shredded low fat cheese (I used an Italian blend)
- 1 1/2 cup of egg whites
- 4 pieces of low fat turkey bacon (cook in pan or microwave before adding to mixture)
- 1/4 cup of diced ham (I used the pre-cooked kind)
- dash of salt & pepper
- 1 tsp of diced onions
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together in bowl. Spray muffin pan & fill about 3/4 of the way full with mixture. Bake for about 20-25 min or until lightly crispy on top. You can check with a tooth pick to make sure they are cooked all the way through.
One of my most favorite clean breakfast foods is oatmeal protein pancakes – they are hearty, will fill you up & leave you feeling great. You can also add your favorite mix ins to them to change it up a bit – try sliced bananas, strawberries, or blueberries.
- 1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese (if you aren’t a fan of cottage cheese, it can be eliminated. Just increase egg whites to 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup of egg whites (if you are like me & go through egg whites like crazy, try Egg Whites International. It’s 100% pure liquid egg white & the purest form of protein you can get)
- 1 cup of Quaker Oatmeal Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder (I have found that Hy Vee carries an awesome tasting protein powder in their Health Food section. It’s made by NNW and it’s called Healthy 100% Whey w/ Stevia. It comes in many great flavors, but my favorite is Vanilla Caramel Swirl, mmmm, so good! What’s even better, this protein powder is not full of artificial ingredients like some others!)
In a blender or mixer, add egg whites, cottage cheese, vanilla, cinnamon and baking powder. One this is all mixed together, add in your oatmeal and protein powder and blend well.
Turn your burner on to Medium/High and make sure to spray your pan with a little Pam so that your pancakes do not stick. Once your pan is hot, pour out pancake mix one at a time.
If you want to add in strawberries or bananas for example, I would just place them on top of your pancake mix after you have poured them out onto your pan.
Let each side of your pancake brown to your liking & enjoy!
When prepping for competitions, my diet can be pretty bland. At times, I’ve had to be pretty creative with the seasonings & spices I’ve added to my chicken, eggs and veggies for extra flavor. During my last prep, cinnamon became a major staple of mine, whether it was on chicken or eggs. I know it probably sounds weird, but it really is good!
With my fructose intolerance & sensitivity to wheat, I have to pay very close attention to what I add to my food – who knew that something as little as a seasoning would send a person with a food intolerance into a tail spin!
Thankfully, I’ve discovered some new seasonings that really give kick to food, Kernel Seasonings. They come in many tasty flavors – nacho cheddar, butter, white cheddar & chili lime to name a few. I’ve been able to find them in the popcorn aisle at the grocery store. What is even better is that they contain 0 Fat, 2 Calories per serving, 0 Carbs & No Sugar – music to my ears!
Check out the website here and see the full list of seasonings. Although they advertise them as popcorn seasoning, they should not be limited to just that! Sprinkle a little on your food & you are good to go. Don’t let your food go naked anymore!
If you are like me and don’t like red meat or just want a clean alternative, extra lean ground turkey is a great choice! It tastes so good and it’s very low in fat & saturated fat!
So maybe you are wondering what exactly are Turkey Yum-Yum’s? Well, I would compare it to a Sloppy Joe with out the sloppy & the bun.
- 1 lb of Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1/4 cup of Ketchup (look for the kind that is FREE of HFCS!!)
- 3/4 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 T minced onions
- 1/2 cup of chopped celery (optional for some added crunch!)
Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together and then bake for 25-30 min (I use an 8″ x 8″ Pyrex dish to bake it in). Make sure to stir often to break up chunks and so everything cooks evenly.